Welcome to the Class of 1964 Homepage!
Class of 1964 50th Reunion Announcement
It is now only a month until our "Band of Brothers" will gather in Charleston to celebrate the anniversary of one of the most significant accomplishments in our lives. The Class of 1964 will muster in Charleston the first week in November for our 50th Class Reunion. The planning committee is in the final stages for making this weekend exciting and as memorable as the one in 1964 when we crossed the stage and were presented our diplomas.
|As I mentioned previously, we have three priorities for this reunion:
||Maximum class participation - (Contact "Lost" classmates)
||Honor deceased classmates and their widows
||Support the class gift
1. Class participation is pretty good, but we are still missing quite a few of our classmates. Some we do not have contact information; some can’t come for compelling personal reasons; some don’t want to come for reasons that I just don’t understand. As of this writing, we have a total 287 people, including 145 classmates and 12 widows. I ask all of you to make a concerted effort to contact the classmates in your respective companies and encourage them to join us in November.
2. At our last reunion, the most memorable event was the memorial service in Summerall Chapel honoring those of our class who have passed. The plans for this year will be something you will never forget. It would be a shame not to attend this service.
Special invitations have been sent to all widows where we have contact information. We are covering their costs other than hotel and transportation. Please help us identify them as well.
3. Our classmates have been very generous, but we still have a way to go to meet our reunion goal and paying for the class gift. Our reunion goal is $2.5 million; we are at $2.3 million in cash, pledges, and planned gifts . Recently, we have had a tremendous amount of support for our project. We are only $26,980 short of finishing our commitment to the McAlister Field House Videoboard. We can complete this goal, if everyone pitches in.
The board is already installed so we can have it for Homecoming. This will serve as a video facility for sporting events, graduation, Greater Issue speeches, and other campus events. The remaining funds will cover maintenance, operations, and other overhead costs.
If you have already participated in our campaign, we again sincerely thank you for your support!!! If you have been meaning to do so but just haven't quite gotten around to it, there is still time. Quite frankly, we are now very interested in increasing the percentage of our classmates participating in our campaign. A gift of whatever you can comfortably afford will be most appreciated. Alumni participation is a major consideration for the school to get grants and other academic considerations such as ratings.
Currently we have 47% participation and would like to exceed 50%. To add your name to our list of contributors, simply complete and return the enclosed contribution form with your gift marked, Class of 1964 Reunion Campaign. You can also make your gift on our safe and secure website, http://foundation.citadel.edu/1964reunion. If you have any questions about our Class Reunion Campaign, please contact Elliot Cooper with The Citadel Foundation at 843-953-4961 or via e-mail at email@example.com.
We also invite you to participate in the CRC Recognition Event, on Friday, 7 November, at 2 PM on the 3rd floor of McAlister Field House, where our class will be recognized for their contributions.
Thanks again for your support of our school and our class. We hope you are all well, and in good health. We look forward to seeing you at our 50th Class Reunion.
|Mr. Bruce L. Thackston
||Dr. Carroll S. “Pete” Brown
|Reunion Campaign Co-Chairman
||Reunion Campaign Co-Chairman
Can you believe it…1964 to 2014…that’s 50 years; 50 years since we wore Citadel grey, marched in a Friday parade, walked a tour or sat a confinement, attended a Citadel class and finally saluted General Mark Clark as we proudly walked across the stage and accepted our diplomas. So, it’s time to celebrate our achievements and share old times, remembrances and stories. Your reunion committee is excited to tell you that plans for our 50th reunion are being finalized. Since this is our 50th and last “official” reunion, our goal is to make this one our biggest and best ever. We have two main goals we want to achieve:
- Maximize class participation, especially contacting those classmates who we have lost contact with or have not been back to recent reunions.
- Honor our deceased classmates and their widows.
Detailed plans can be found on our online registration site, but here are the important milestones:
Reunion headquarters is The Marriott Charleston: 170 Lockwood Boulevard. We have a group room rate of $199.00/night. PLEASE NOTE: You must call/contact The Marriott to arrange for your reunion accommodations. (1-800-968-3569, or 1-800-228-929) – mention the Class of1964 Reunion. (Marriott Awards apply)
- 11/6/2014 CLASS GOLF OUTING: On Thursday there will be a golf outing at Stono Ferry organized by Eason Chapman ($75/player).
- 11/6/2014 THURSDAY NIGHT PARTY: Don and Joan Plunkett will once again host in informal gathering at their home on the Isle of Palms
- 11/7/2014 CLASS REGISTRATION: The Registration and Class Mixer will be held at The Marriot from 1000 to 1600.
- 11/7/2014 DEDICATION CEREMONY: This event is hosted by General Rosa and is held in McAlister Field House to honor the classes celebrating their Class Reunion Campaign during Homecoming 2014 at 1400.
- 11/7/2014 CLASS DINNER AND SOCIAL: The class social and dinner will be held at The Marriot Hotel on Friday evening
- 11/8/2014 HOMECOMING DAY: As always there will be a host of activities on campus on Saturday. We will have a class tent set up to gather before and after the football game. You will be able to purchase football tickets through the online registration process.
- 11/8/2014 MEMORIAL SERVICE: There will be a special Memorial Service in the Chapel on Saturday morning to honor our deceased classmates.
- 11/8/2014 SATURDAY NIGHT: Saturday night is set aside for individual or company gatherings
To view a printable schedule for Homecoming 2014, please click here. If you have any other questions about the weekend's activities, please contact your Class Chairman, Bruce Thackston.
This year we are using an online registration system. When you are ready to register, go to the following URL address https://www.regonline.com/classof196450threunion and you will be taken to the first page of our “Class of 1964 50th Reunion” registration site. Once there just complete your registration and you will be all set.
The estimated cost per person will be $300. That includes 2 football tickets, food, drink and refreshments for all parties and receptions, Friday dinner & Saturday lunch, reunion “uniform” package, a gift for your spouse or significant other, and miscellaneous reunion supporting costs.
When you complete your online registration your total payment due will be part of your registration record. You will have the option of paying in full or making a $100/person deposit. You can use a credit card or check to pay for your reunion registration.
If you don’t use or have access to the Internet, please send your $100/person deposit or $600 full payment checkto: James F Condon, Jr. CPA, 11 Gamecock Ave, Suite 1102, Charleston, SC. 29407, payable to “ Class of 1964 Reunion.” (Subtract $32/ticket if you do not need football tickets). We ask that you send your money no later than 1 June, with the balance due 1 August 2014.
Lastly, we need your help…we are asking for you to reach out and help us identify our classmates who have not attended before or with whom we have lost contact. We want them and you back to celebrate with us.
See you in November 2014
Your Reunion Committee