Homecoming 2014 has come and gone – only one year until our 40th Homecoming Reunion! You will recall that the Class Reunion Campaign (CRC) Committee set an ambitious overall goal of $2 million which includes cash, pledges, stock transfers and planned gifts. Within this goal, the committee has chosen two important projects, which will honor the courage and sacrifice of the family of our classmate Duane Wittman, whose son, Aaron (Class of ’07) died heroically in Afghanistan:
- The Class of ‘75/Aaron X. Wittman, ’07 Medal of Honor Recipient Speaker Series ($345,000)
- The Citadel War Memorial, Sponsoring Class ($100,000)
Your generosity and support for this Campaign has been outstanding. We are well on our way to meeting these goals. Currently, we have over $1.2 million in the total donations and contributions. Of that amount, $204,768 is in the form of cash contributions and will go directly to the $445,000 needed to fund our class projects.
But, with only one more year to go, we badly need help from more of our class. The Class of ‘74 had a participation rate of over 47%. Inexplicably, our class only has a participation rate of approximately 25%. I say “inexplicably” because we all know how much more loyal, appreciative, intelligent, good looking, and in all ways superior the Class of ’75 is to the Class of ’74!
Won’t you please help The Citadel by making a generous donation or pledge before the end of the year? As the State of South Carolina continues to reduce support to all of its colleges and universities, The Citadel has never needed its loyal alumni more.
Direct contributions of cash, real estate, or stocks are, of course, most welcome. The Citadel Foundation also has an array of flexible programs you can choose from to support The Citadel and the Class of ’75 Reunion Campaign. For example:
- Donation of life insurance policies – one of our classmates has already converted a term policy to a $500,000 whole life policy with The Citadel as the beneficiary. There are great tax advantages to this approach.
- Will bequest – any amount specified in your Will for the benefit of The Citadel will count toward our class campaign goal.
- Donations of IRA’s or 401K’s remainder interest – make The Citadel a beneficiary of some or all of the remainder interest in a retirement plan.
- Pledges – the full amount of any pledge will be credited to the class campaign goal, even though you can take up to five (5) years to fulfill the pledge.
Please complete and return the enclosed contribution form with your gift or you can make your gift on our safe and secure website: http://foundation.citadel.edu/1975giving
If you would like more information or if you have any questions about how you can contribute, please do not hesitate to contact any of the committee members below. You may also contact Veronica Vereen, Development Officer with The Citadel Foundation, who will be assisting the committee and our class fundraising efforts. Please contact her with any questions you have may have regarding our Class Reunion Campaign at:
The Citadel Foundation
ATTN: Veronica Vereen
171 Moultrie StreetCharleston, SC 29409
Thank you, again, for your consideration. I look forward to seeing you all at Homecoming 2015! Go Dogs!
Dwight J. Davis
Class Reunion Campaign Chairman