Welcome to the Class of 1989 Homepage!
A message from your Class Chairman. . . .
I am writing to ask that each of you join me in giving to our "Class of 1989 25th Reunion Campaign." There are many different ways to give. I personally pledged to make yearly gifts through 2017 for The Citadel Fund, the Class of 1989’s project – The Citadel’s Interdisciplinary Business Plan Competition, and The Patrick McKenna Scholarship; and I also made a planned gift. Together as a class, we can make a difference to our school through our philanthropy. I would really appreciate it if you would take the time to consider the following:
- Help me break records by making a pledge to The Citadel.
- To date, only the Classes of 1987 and 1988 have participated in a 25th Class Reunion Campaign. Our boys in '87 raised $650k and '88 raised $700k. Since we always kicked both of their butts in everything, let's be the first 25th Reunion Class to step up and give The Citadel $1,000,000!
- Our overall goal is $1,000,000 with $250,000 designated toward our class project, The Interdisciplinary Business Plan Competition. To date, we have raised about $275,000 overall with $80,000 designated toward our class project. We have a class participation of 27%. If you make a pledge today, you will actually have until December 31, 2017 to fulfill it. There is plenty of time to pay for a gift. So please, go ahead and make your pledge.
- We have a very unique class project that I would hope each of you would be excited to support. Our class gift will be a $250,000 grant to The Citadel’s Interdisciplinary Business Plan Competition. This is a new program which was kick started by our class this past year. It is open to all majors and will teach cadets entrepreneur skills, something I know could have benefitted all of us.
OK guys...now here is "The Poop!" One of the best ways that we can raise big $$$ is with planned gifts. Please take note of the following:
- I asked our classmate, Brandon Page, who is a financial advisor, to research and find the best whole life policy deal out there. My $50k whole life policy designates The Citadel as the owner and beneficiary and has monthly premiums of around $60. That means I get credit for a $50,000 gift for less than $1,000 per year. Plus, my monthly premium is tax deductible.
- There are many other types of planned gifts you can make: will bequests, gift annuities, charitable remainder trusts, and retirement assets.
- If you make a planned gift of at least $25,000 in 2014, you are eligible for induction into The Citadel Legacy Society during 2015’s Leaders in Philanthropy Weekend at The Citadel. The Citadel Foundation will celebrate your gift with a ceremony in Summerall Chapel where you will be recognized by the President. I will be there and would love to have a great showing of 1989 Legacy Society Members!
- While planned gifts cannot go towards the project goal, they can allow you to make a significant gift without taking any money out of your wallet, today. Your planned gift will also go towards the overall amount raised by the class. You may designate a planned gift to any area of The Citadel or use it to establish a scholarship in your name.
- Please contact your financial, if you are interested and want to learn more.
There are many other ways to give. You could support an existing scholarship, such as the Patrick McKenna Scholarship, you could give to the Citadel Fund that allows the President to designate monies to areas at The Citadel that he feels are most important, you could join the Brigadier Foundation, etc. So I ask you to please, determine what is important to you and give in support of that cause.
Ever since our last reunion, we have been getting together for some football tailgates. This year will be no exception, and we have FSU on the schedule. This summer, I will be sending out more information and details for all the things planned for the class.
Brothers, it has been 25 year, and, yes, you are getting old. Now is the time for us to step up and show our support to OUR school. I will close just as I opened by asking you to join me in giving. Our gifts will make a difference and most importantly give young cadets the same opportunities we all received. Remember...No Excuses!
Jay Holmes, Class Reunion Campaign Chairman
*Please note that Elliott Cooper is our class liaison with The Citadel Foundation. She can be reached at 843-953-4961 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. She is willing to help you in any way.