Criteria for Name Inclusion on The Citadel War Memorial
Any Citadel alumnus who, while serving under competent authority in any capacity with one of the U.S. Armed Forces, or with the armed forces of their native or adopted state during the period 1861-1865, or with the armed forces of their native or adopted country, has been killed, or who has died or may die of wounds received under any of the following circumstances will be recognized:
- In action against an enemy of the United States.
- In action with an opposing armed force of a foreign country in which the U.S. Armed Forces are or have been engaged.
- While serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party.
- As the result of an act of any such enemy or opposing armed forces.
- As the result of an act of any hostile foreign force.
- As the result of an international terrorist attack against the United States or a foreign nation friendly to the United States.
- As the result of military operations while serving outside the territory of the United States as part of a peacekeeping force.
- As the result of action by friendly weapons fire while directly engaged in armed conflict, other than as the result of an act of an enemy of the United States, unless as a result of willful misconduct of the individual.
- As the result of being held as a prisoner of war (or while being taken captive).
- As the result of illness or accident while deployed in support of operations where the above criteria might apply.
*All names listed on the Summerall Chapel wall or other memorial areas on campus as of January 2015 will be listed on The Citadel War Memorial.